A couple of months ago, a girl who couldn’t have been older than 10 or 11, walked into my job at the Tarrant County College South Campus bookstore and purchased a Monster energy drink. At first, I assumed she was possibly buying it for one of her parents or maybe an older sibling, but after handing me her money, she opened the Monster and took a sip.

I wanted to tell her she was way too young to be drinking that, but instead, I gave her the change with her receipt and sent her on her way. I personally don’t believe children should be allowed to consume energy drinks such as Monster, but since I wasn’t her father or older brother, I didn’t believe it was my place to say anything.

Back in December 2011, a Maryland teenager, Anais Fournier, drank two Monster energy drinks within a 24-hour period and died. Fournier had a preexisting heart condition before she drank the energy drinks. Last month, her family filed a lawsuit against Monster for failing to warn about the product’s dangers according to the Medical Daily.

While my heart goes out to her parents for their loss, I can’t help but question the logic behind their decision to sue. The girl knew she had a pre-existing heart condition, but drank the Monsters anyway. Even if there wasn’t a pre-exsisting heart condition, common sense should tell one that drinking two energy drinks almost back to back is never a good idea.

I seriously doubt this was the first time the girl had a Monster energy drink. Monster puts labels on the cans that say the drinks are not for children. Is it really Monster’s fault the girl did not use her common sense, and chose to ignore the warning? I don’t believe this company should suffer, because the girl chose to ignore the warning and ended up paying with her life.

She was old enough to know that it was not healthy for her.

I’m pretty sure these drinks where made with adults, not children, in mind.

-Tristian Evans