Marijuana is a scheduled class one narcotic by the State of Texas and the United States government, but I think it is not a dangerous drug at all, but a medication that is used by many different people for many different reasons.
I have met Iraqi war vets that receive money from the Veterans Administration to pay for their marijuana medication. These vets have severe Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and have found that marijuana makes them happy, helps them sleep and overall improves their quality of life.
I have even recently watched a special, YouTube video that shows parents giving their children doses of cannabidiol to help the children deal with illnesses.
This is a link to a documentary that explains that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are the two main elements found in marijuana: http://youtu.be/Q9CjiTxKVl0
How can something that treats medical conditions be bad for you? Radiation treats many medical conditions, but it’s bad for you. So does chemotherapy.
In fact, getting caught with marijuana will get you kicked out of school, or worse, jail time. But I have imagined a life where marijuana is legal and as acceptable as drinking alcohol. And I am not the only one.
There are local National Organization to Reform of Marijuana Laws’ groups who are fighting to legalize marijuana in Fort Worth. NORML led the way in the past, in Colorado and Washington state elections. These states got bills passed that made marijuana legal for recreational use.
I think it is only a matter of time until marijuana is legal in Texas and in the United States. After all, the Baby Boomers are dying out, and the Generation Xers and Yers are coming into power.
And here is a link to the Dallas-Fort Worth chapter of NORML: http://www.dfwnorml.org/
That is only my opinion, but “Google” it sometime. You will find the same results as I did. In fact, I never have read a single story about someone dying from marijuana use.

Previous post

No Shave November raises cancer research awareness

Next post

Wesleyan intramurals rolling toward semester's end

Ryan Grounds

Ryan Grounds

8 Comments

1. OG
    November 19, 2013 at 12:30 am — Reply

So, it’s your opinion and this isn’t true?

2. November 19, 2013 at 2:24 pm — Reply

You’re not alone, I’ve imagined that life too. I’m doing my own research into what I’ve dubbed the “shift in cannabis culture.” You can read the first part of my article at https://plus.google.com/116113648282103629185/posts/WBsPthKp3Re (assumming the link works).

Also, has it ever baffled you that alcohol is considered as less of a “problem” than marijuana?

3. November 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm — Reply

I definitely don’t see see Texas legalizing it any time soon. Unfortunately, the economy is really good there (as oppposed to let’s say California) where the revenue isn’t needed as bad.

Also, it’s a red state, so that doesn’t really help.

Eventually, I think it will be legalized, but it will most likely be one of the last states to do so.

4. Douglas
    November 21, 2013 at 1:13 pm — Reply

But what about ht e childern. If it becomes legalie in Texas how will our childern beable to purchas it. How will the black market be able to make money? And whewn our childern find out that our govrment been lieing to us then what. No it is better to keep stupid and scare. Destroe famleys life.Yes that why we need to keep it the way it is.
    And what makes these Docters and scince thing they know better than the police offcer on the steet.

5. matthew
    November 25, 2013 at 7:44 pm — Reply

I agree people are killing themselves getting drunk and driving but when have you ever herd of someone getting high and causing accidents almost none but its completely legal for someone to get shit faced at a bar and drive intoxicated to there home why can’t we make the same decision about marijuana its not a hard drug like coke Meth heroin or even alcahol k2 or bath salts its a seed put it in the ground it grows untouched not to mention you can use it to make any thing from lotion and paper to clothing and rope and it in some cases is used to shrink cancers so it seems to me its a cure all if you will the only drug that might factually be good for us and environmentally good for us is illegal I say environment cause I don’t think we should smoke it but ingest as a food to decrease the chance of any kind of lung cancer but IV been smoking marijuana since I was 8 yo and I am now 24 yo cancer free don’t drink hate alcahol

6. Chris
    December 14, 2013 at 11:00 pm — Reply

In 1988, DEA administrative law judge Francis Young, ruled that marijuana is the safest and most therapeutic substance know to man and that there should be no criminal penalties for its use.
    This ruling was over turned later.
    President Nixon commissioned research on marijuana to prove it truly was bad for you, but instead he found the opposite out. So he put the report in his trash bin and burned it.
    Report after report, the truth about marijuana is being revealed.
    Also, as a confirmation, nobody in the past 10,000 years of known marijuana use has ever died from marijuana. Is it possible? Sure, if you can smoke 20,000 joints in 15 seconds.

It might be notable to add that marijuana can be used in food and to make fuel and textile products, not just as medicine. Also notable is that marijuana was made illegal in 1937 because it was “dangerous”. However, during the Vietnam war, it was used for hemp, and then after the war, it was made illegal again but because it turned people into pacifists. It made people generally that much happier and less hostile.
    A good documentary to see is on YouTube, just search: The Union, the business behind getting high, and you’ll find it. The first 5 minutes is a very well done background on marijuana’s history.

7. vapo
    September 17, 2014 at 10:13 pm — Reply

I suppose that marijuana will be legalized in Texas one day, but definitely not in the nearest future. People and politicians are too concerned about drug abuse there this year.

8. Dan
    March 2, 2016 at 9:02 am — Reply

Have to disagree with the comments. I think it’s coming sooner than most expect.

Tells us what you think