One thing I love to do when I watch sports is I love to get on social media and converse with other fans, talk strategy and trade knowledge back and forth.
One thing I cannot stand is when “fans” talk trash and just belittle players and teams. It drives me crazy.
Last weekend I watched the wild card playoff games and being the huge Minnesota Vikings fan that I am, I watched the heartbreaking loss to the Seattle Seahawks. After the game I got on social media to see my fellow fans’ reactions.
What I saw was disgusting. I saw a YouTube video that had a fan burning an Adrian Peterson jersey and just talking trash about the team. What kind of “fan” burns a jersey because that team lost the game? Yes, Peterson had a critical fumble late in the game that set up the Seahawks go-ahead field goal, but that isn’t a good enough reason to burn a jersey.
What is the reasoning behind all these fans burning jerseys? The same thing happened in 2010 when LeBron James left the Cleveland Cavaliers to join the Miami Heat. Videos went viral that saw all these fans in Ohio and across the nation burning his Cleveland jersey. I saw a couple of videos after DeMarco Murray left Dallas at the end of the 2014 season of people burning his jersey too.
You paid hundreds of dollars for this jersey and then you just burn it? That’s ridiculous. But I guess that goes into your definition of being a fan. To me being a fan, is supporting your team through the hard times and through the triumphs. Heartbreaking losses, close victories – that’s all part of the fan experience.
Now it’s time for Michael’s musings:
Five things I like:
- The Cleveland Browns hiring Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson. Maybe he will be the answer the Browns are looking for.
- The Arizona Cardinals to beat the Green Bay Packers for the second time this season.
- Saints head coach Sean Payton keeping his job.
- The Seattle Seahawks to end the Carolina Panthers’ dream season.
Five things I don’t
- The San Francisco 49ers hiring Chip Kelly to be their head coach.
- Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith entering the NFL draft after tearing his ACL in the Fiesta Bowl.
- Rob Ryan as the defensive coordinator in Buffalo. I have a feeling there will be a power struggle sooner rather than later.
- Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement.
Just wondering but:
- How long before Chip Kelly trades away a 49ers star player?
- Who wins the Super Bowl this year?
- What’s next for Robert Griffin III and Johnny Manziel?d