Music professors set an example

Piano professor Jose Antonio Cubela performs Malaguena at Tuesday’s faculty showcase.

Many professors from Texas Wesleyan’s Music Department filled the stage in Nicholas Martin Hall at the annual faculty showcase Tuesday.

The showcase, which featured music through the ages, moved from its usual time of Monday at 3 p.m. to Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. to make it a more formal experience, Music Department Chairman Dr. Jerome Bierschenk said.

“It’s a time for the students to sit back and listen to us perform,” Biershenk said. “Usually, the students are performing, and we are giving them critiques.”

The recital consisted of vocalists, several instrumentalists and pianists performing, Biershenk said.

These performances provided an opportunity for music students, like freshman Brittany Clark, to get an idea of what’s expected of them in the music program, and what to aspire for in the future.

“Aside from the musicality, their presence on the stage is pretty empowering,” said Clark. “They inspire me to be the best that I can be.”

She especially enjoyed the performance of flute professor Dr. Margaret Griffith.

“I am a little biased, because I am a flute player.” Clark said, “but Dr. Griffith’s  performance was amazing. She blows me away time and time again, but she was by far my favorite.”

Freshman music education major Jamie Ford also enjoyed seeing her professor perform.

“My favorite part was seeing my oboe teacher perform,” Ford said. “It showed me how I was supposed to sound.”

Ford felt the showcase gave her something to strive for.

“I hope to one day perform and be as relaxed as they are,” Ford said. “I look up to them a lot.”