Ram Rally excites basketball fans

Willie the Ram gets the members of the crowd pumped up for the game. Photo by Tina Huynh

Texas Wesleyan students gathered at Sid Richardson Center to celebrate Ram Rally.

Formerly known as a Midnight Madness, Ram Rally was hosted by sophomore criminal justice major Elijah Meyer from 9 p.m. to midnight on Monday.

The event gave students a look at how the men’s and women’s basketball teams were preparing for their upcoming seasons.

“To prepare for the event, we went through a lot of steps beforehand to get everything organized, and then we had a walk-through of all the different events and stuff we had planned out tonight,” Meyer said.

Meyer said he was rather nervous, as it was his first time ever hosting an event, but that it was “a lot of fun.”

“I got a good energy and vibe from the crowd, and they motivated me to do better,” he said.

Meyer also said his favorite things about Ram Rally was to see everyone getting involved with each other, engaging with their fellow students, and when they got up cheering and dancing.

“I feel like last year we didn’t have the same type of energy that we have this year, and it is so much better as far as the reaction from the student body and the involvement they were giving back to us,” he said. “We tried as much as we could to make this a fun event; they embraced it and seemed like they enjoyed it.”

Sophomore exercise science major Asada Samin said the highlight of the event for her was to see the basketball players.

“I’ve been too busy to watch them, so it’s good to get a chance to see what they’re up to tonight,” Samin said.

She said she really enjoyed seeing people get together, because she “had not seen this many students gathering together” since last semester.

“I’m really excited for this season,” she said. “Hopefully we can get another championship this year.”

Freshman psychology major Sheryl Vu said the event really helped her get more of a college experience.

“It was awesome that I got to see our national champion basketball team, and they had good music, popcorn, photo booth,” she said. “It was a really good time to have a get-together with friends.”

Vu said she loved how small Wesleyan is because it gave her the chance to get to know everyone around much better.

“I really like the atmosphere here,” she said. “Everyone seems to be very considerate of each other, and the professors are always so helpful.”

The men’s basketball team’s first home game is Nov. 2 against Southwest Adventist University; game time is 7:30 p.m. The women’s team’s first home game is Nov. 20 versus Texas College. Game time is 6 p.m.

Willie the Ram gets the members of the crowd pumped up for the game.
Photo by Tina Huynh
Ram fans fill up on the bleachers at the Sid Richardson Gym for Ram Rally.
Photo by Tina Huynh
Gold Line Dancers perform at Ram Rally in the Sid Richardson Gym.
Photo by Tina Huynh