Police respond to shots fired call on Texas Wesleyan campus

FWPD officers stand outside west entrance after lockdown was lifted.

At 12:09 a.m. Monday morning, the Fort Worth Police Department responded to a shots fired call at Stella Russell Hall located on the Texas Wesleyan Campus.

Texas Wesleyan University Official Statement

The Fort Worth Police Department (FWPD), the Texas Wesleyan University (TXWES) Campus Security, and Dean of Students office are currently investigating an incident of a firearm being discharged late in the night on Sunday, April 17, 2022. Campus security and Fort Worth Police Officers responded immediately, and students received an emergency alert to shelter in place. Students who were in close proximity to the alleged individual’s room were safely removed to a secure area.

Students remained safe during the incident. Once the scene was cleared by FWPD, an additional alert was sent to all student residents to lift the shelter in place warning. TXWES security is working alongside FWPD as they continue their investigation.

Counselors will be available to support any TXWES students this week. TXWES has made addressing and preventing gun violence a priority as part of ensuring the health, safety, and wellbeing of students, staff, and the TXWES community.

For more information please contact:

Tammy Evans-Mitchell
Communications & Public Relations Manager
817-531-4271 (office)
817-915-8366 (cell)
[email protected]

OR

Ofc. J. Pollozani #4176
Public Relations Office
817-392-4203 (office)
817-269-9878 (cell)
[email protected]

In a statement released from Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students Dennis Hall at 9:47 a.m. on Monday morning, it was reported that “The alleged student was immediately identified by way of the security cameras which recorded the activity” and that “the alleged student had left the premises at the time of the search conducted by the FWPD. The alleged student is not permitted to return to campus.”

Campus Security was notified at approximately 11:45 p.m. Sunday that a student had “discharged a gun into the air outside of Stella Hall” according to the message by Hall.

According to a FWPD spokesperson, “a suspect had exited Stella Russell Hall, discharge[ed] a firearm, and return[ed] inside the building. Officers were unable to locate the suspect and a report was made.”

At 12:41 a.m. Texas Wesleyan issued a shelter in place notice citing an “emergency situation on or near campus.”

Multiple FWPD officers and TXWES Security officers were at the scene keeping students out of the area.

The lockdown was lifted at 1:38 a.m., just under an hour after it was issued, and FWPD left shortly after.

Weapons of any form are not permitted on the Texas Wesleyan campus with the school opting out of the 2016 Texas “campus carry” bill (S.B. 11).

No injuries were reported.

Written 3:56 a.m. Monday, April 18, 2022.

Updated 2:58 p.m. Monday, April 18, 2022.