Texas Wesleyan to host second combine

Texas Wesleyan is hosting the second annual College to the Pros basketball combine on Saturday at the Sid Richardson Center.

Combine spokesperson Brian Luby wrote in an email that College to the Pros is using the combine as a way to reach out to Division 2 and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics players that often get overlooked.

“These players need to be given opportunities like this to reach their dreams of playing professionally,” Luby wrote.

The combine will include a seminar, combine drills and games, according to collegestothepros.com.

The combine is a way for players to learn about the process of becoming a professional basketball player and showcase their skills to agents, scouts and coaches, according to collegetothepros.com.

Men’s basketball coach Brennen Shingleton wrote in an email that he is not sure if any Texas Wesleyan seniors will be attending the combine.

The event is geared toward players that get overlooked for the NBA, but could still play in the NBA development league, or overseas with the goal to play in the pros someday.

“We will have representatives from the NBA D-League along with many NBA and FIBA (International Basketball Federation),” Luby wrote. “Tyler Gatlin, the assistant coach for the Texas Legends and Staron Walker who is a scout for the Legends, are among those that will be in attendance.”

The combine is limited to 40 participants. As The Rambler goes to press, the list of players participating had not been released, but last year players attended from Texas State University, the University of Texas-San Antonio and the University of North Texas, Luby wrote.

The combine will also have a stop in St. Louis, on May 2 at the Moolah Shrine Center.

The combine is only for seniors that do not have any college eligibility left, and the goal is for each player to each player to be heading in the right direction to achieve their dream of playing professionally.

“We have a good relationship with the coaches and they are very supportive of what we are trying to do for these players.” Luby said.

The combine is $200, or $150 for early registration. For more information, go to collegetothepros.com.