Incubus and Deftones rock Dallas

On Aug. 21, Gexa Energy Pavilion in Dallas was suffocating with metal heads.

The venue hosted a five-hour tour event headlined by Incubus, an alternative rock group formed in 1991, and the metal alternative band Deftones, who formed in 1988. Both bands are from California and the last time they toured together was back in 2000.

Fifteen years later, the Dallas crowd filled the venue with their arms raised high, daggering the sky with their fists.

The co-headliners took the crowd through a nostalgia trip that left me, a ‘90s kid, in awe. The crowd was full of people singing along. The majority of the crowd was wearing Red Hot Chili Pepper t-shirts and chugging beer like there was no tomorrow. The scene was nothing new but the show was better than I expected.

After two opening acts, The Bots and Death From Above 1979, Deftones opened with their well- known song Change [in the House of Flies] from their 2000 album White Pony. The familiar tune made the crowd rave. There was not one quiet soul in the venue. Lead singer Chino Moreno killed the vocals to Passenger and physically gave his all.

As the sunset disappeared the music got louder and the crowd grew more excited. Deftones played two hours straight and introduced two new untitled songs from their upcoming CD.

Deftones ended their show with the well-known hit My Own Summer [Shove it]. The crowd began moshing and screaming the lyrics.

During intermission the crowd began jumping up and down shouting “Incubus!” over and over again.

The stage went pitch black. The DJ began mixing and then Incubus lead singer Brandon Boyd appeared.

Boyd, shirtless and looking ageless, began singing Pardon Me.

My heart dropped as I screamed “I’ll never be the same!” The crowd backed me up as the music sped up. The lights dropped and then two hours of tireless music, most of it from their well-known album S.C.I.E.N.C.E., continued. Incubus ended the night with my personal favorite Megalomaniac and a few tracks from their newest EP, Trust Fall.

Before I knew it, it was midnight and as I was leaving the people surrounding me were shouting for an encore.

No one was in a rush to leave, hoping either headliner would come back out. But there was no encore.

I can now confirm that Incubus and Deftones are no doubt better live than on record, and they are worth seeing again.