Lead donation highlights Wesleyan’s 125th Anniversary Gala

Wesleyan’s 125 Year Gala had quite a crowd in attendance.

Texas Wesleyan University President Frederick Slabach announced Saturday that Nick and Lou Martin contributed the lead donation to the university’s $20 million campaign for a new student center.

The announcement was made at Wesleyan’s 125th Anniversary Gala, which was held at Fort Worth’s Worthington Renaissance Hotel.

“We are so excited that the Martins have agreed to make the lead gift for this campaign,” Slabach said, “and it is with great pride that we will name the university center for Nick and Lou Martin.”

Slabach said the student center will be more than just a place for student engagement. It will also be a place that will provide Wesleyan with the opportunity to reach out to the greater community.

“We are very, very honored and proud to be able to support the university in this way,” Lou Martin said after Slabach’s announcement. “We know this center will be so special and we hope that all of you will join us to support it and make it happen.”

Scott Cannon, manager of University Events, said the Martins’ donation was incredible.

“What a great gift to start off a very much needed student center,” Cannon said.

U.S. Rep. Kay Granger, R-Texas, who is a Wesleyan alumna, was also celebrated at the gala, accepting the prestigious Law Sone Medal, which has only been given twice in the history of the university, according to the event’s program.

“We often say that our graduates go into the world and accomplish great things,” Slabach said, “but Kay is proof of this, and her desire to render the utmost to her fellow man is why we celebrate her tonight.”

Granger said she was honored to receive the award.

“I’m sort of speechless almost,” Granger said. “This city and this school made me who I am.”

The gala concluded with dance music provided by local band Trey and the Tritones.