The Criminal Justice club officially becomes part of Texas Wesleyan

The criminal justice department will start a new club at Texas Wesleyan this fall.  

The organization is open to any major and any student who wishes to join. 

Eddy Lynton and Cary Adkinson are criminal justice professors and faculty co-advisors for the club, but they plan to have student officers to run the club starting in the fall. The organization is already officially recognized as a campus club since May 2023, and they are looking for new officers and a president.  

“We’ll set up our first meeting for fall and establish the officer positions and voting process,” Adkinson said. “The students can explore issues of crime and criminal justice they are interested in and organize student events on- and off-campus to promote criminal justice literacy and public service.”  

This club will provide students opportunities to engage with each other, faculty, staff and the larger community. 

“Possible projects include putting on a CRJ career day, doing a mock crime scene on campus, visiting local criminal justice agencies and volunteering in the local community,” Adkinson said. 

So far, several students have gotten involved with the club.

Maryellen Lafferty (Gracie), fourth-year criminal justice major, is excited to be a member of the Criminal Justice Club. (Lizette Barcenas)

“I joined this club because it seemed fun and so I can meet other people and see what opportunities this club has,” said Damian Sanchez, fourth-year criminal justice major. 

Gracie Lafferty, fourth-year criminal justice major, also thought the club could get to know classmates. 

“It looks like a great opportunity to meet other people in criminal justice and a fun learning opportunity,” she said.  

Adkinson and Lynton plan to hit the ground running once everything is settled in the first meeting. The club will have their first meeting at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 12 at in Brahan Hall, located in the Poly United Methodist Church (PUMC). Free pizza and drinks will be provided. Students can RSVP to [email protected]. 

For anyone interested in joining or for further questions, students can contact Adkinson at [email protected].