Texas Wesleyan security is cracking down on parking citations

Chiara Watson
Security informs students that they will be enforcing parking citation rules.

Chris Beckrich, Texas Wesleyan Director of safety and security, sent out notice that security will start enforcing students to park in the correct lots.  

After the first two weeks of school, Chris Beckrich, director of security, said campus officers will start issuing citations to students. 

“This grace period allows students to become familiar with our campus parking regulations,” Beckrich said. “To promote awareness of parking rules, we utilize red warning citations as an educational tool for students.”  

Tammy Evans, communications and public relations manager said, “through proactively educating our student body regarding available parking options, we have observed a notable reduction in parking-related complaints.” 

Students are asked to get parking permits and they are free. Students can get those free permits at the library front desk. 

According to the Texas Wesleyan website, lots U, K, E, I, N and P are designated as student parking lots. If a parking spot has an R in front of a number, that would mean it is reserved. The Martin Center’s parking lot is prohibited, and security will issue citations for parking in the visitors.  However, after 5 p.m., anyone can park in any lots available.  

Parking on the side of the roads near Texas Wesleyan is also available for anyone who does not have a permit.  

“At Texas Wesleyan, we remain committed to exploring various avenues to enhance parking availability for our student’s and have recently introduced a temporary parking lot on Collard Street, utilizing the vacant lot at Ave B to alleviate parking constraints,” Evans said.  

Security officers will actively patrol lots, making sure students do not violate any parking rules. They will give out citations and will no longer issue warnings. For more information, students can talk to a patrol officer on their golf carts or call security at (817) 531-4911. 

Jaeley May, fourth-year criminal justice major, said, “I got a citation from security, and it was for parking in the resident assistant parking spot and the price was $50.” 

If students receive a citation, they can either pay the citations or appeal them. The appeal process is located online and can be submitted if a student believes an error was made on a citation.  

For more information regarding parking citations and prices, visit the security website https://txwes.edu/security/parking-regulations/.