Martin University Center turns four

The+Martin+University+Center+celebrates+its+birthday.+
Shyran Moore
The Martin University Center celebrates its birthday.

Texas Wesleyan celebrated Martin University Center’s (MUC) fourth birthday on Sept. 20 at 12:30 p.m. in the Kay Granger Mall.   

Students were given free cupcakes and party hats to celebrate the day.   

We had a lot of students come through and all the cake and cupcakes got eaten,” said Barbara Walker, director of student activities, diversity, inclusion, programming and orientation.  

“It’s an event that I put on, so I felt really good about it. 

Students were not the only ones in attendance. Faculty came out for the celebration as well. Dr. Hector Quintanilla, provost and vice senior president for academic affairs, attended the event. 

“We opened this facility in 2019 and didn’t get a lot of use of it other than for classroom space during the pandemic,” he said.But as all the students have begun to aggregate here and use it as a place of meeting place, it’s just been a game changer for the campus.” 

Since its opening years ago, the MUC has become a hub for student life. 

It’s a great hub for students to hang out and study and get food and just a good central point,Victoria Nord, assistant director of orientation, said. 

Students enjoy the MUC and the resources they provide. 

Kiara Hoff, sophomore biology major, says the MUC is a convenient place to stop between classes. 

“It’s really convenient if you ever need to go get your books or need to go get a calculator before an exam or any phone charges or anything,” she said. It’s also super cool that they have, TXWES merch in there.”