University welcomes new women’s basketball coaching staff

Head Coach Scott Hyland goes over Thursday’s practice plans. (Hannah Parker)

This year, the Lady Rams welcomed their new coaching staff, with head coach Scott Hyland and assistant coach Dwanisha Tate.  

The new staff transitioned to Wesleyan after coaching at Hill College in Hillsboro, Texas.  

“The transition here has been wonderful,” Hyland said. “Everyone has been so supportive.” 

The Lady Rams are working hard for this season. 

“We want to come in and implement our system,” Hyland said. “This is what we do, and this is how we do it.”  

Assistant coach Dwanisha Tate came alongside head coach Scott Hyland from Hill College.  

Teammates keep their eyes on the ball in practice. (Hannah Parker)

“So far, I am in love with the process,” Tate said. “We have a great group of girls that keep us on our toes.” 

Senior marketing and shooting guard on the team Savanna Smith is one of the upperclassmen who have been able to interact with the new staff as well as the old.  

“Like any other player, it can definitely be nerve wracking, but I definitely love the coaching staff we have here,” Smith said. “They believe in all of us, and they gave each of us the same exact opportunity as the next.” 

Cheer on our women’s basketball team as they compete against Paul Quinn College on Nov. 4.