Rams defeat Buccaneers in Game 1 of doubleheader

JD Padgett, outfielder, on third base anticipates scoring off a hit from home plate. (Thomas Parsons)

UPDATED: Feb. 16, 2024 at 1:00 p.m.

The Texas Wesleyan Rams Baseball team beat the Park University (Gilbert, AZ) Buccaneers in game one of two as part of a doubleheader at Sycamore Ballpark on Feb. 2. 

The first pitch was thrown at 12 p.m. and went on for six and a half innings with a final score of 4-3. In the first inning, the Rams scored four runs.  

Max Morelan, a sophomore business major, and first base and outfield player said, “Hitting is contagious; once one guy gets going the whole team’s gonna carry on.” 

In the fourth inning, the Buccaneers were able to score three runs which provided playing time to the other relief pitchers.  

Dwain Guice, relief pitcher, comes in to pitch at the top of the fifth for a strikeout. (Thomas Parsons)

“It felt great,” a sophomore and relief pitcher Dwain Guice said. “My last outing wasn’t the best, so it felt great to be back out there.” 

Even with the game being close, the team felt rejuvenated getting the win and had a fun time playing.  

Kotetsu Kawasaki, a first-year student, psychology major, and student manager for the team said that his time as a manager has been “fun so far.”  

The Rams then won their second game of the day against the Buccaneers 14-4 and secured a doubleheader victory. 
The Rams next doubleheader will be against Wiley College on Feb. 16.  

Correction: the next double header is against Wiley College on Feb. 16.