Dinner held to celebrate women in sports

Students, faculty and staff attend the dinner in support of women in sports. (Chiara Watson)

A women in sports dinner organized by Dr. Jill Gerloff, assistant athletic director of academic services, took place Feb. 6 at 5:30 p.m.  

This event was hosted to celebrate National Girls and Women in Sports day that falls on Feb. 7. Athletes from various women’s sports on campus were in attendance, alongside coaches and athletics staff. At the dinner, sports journalist Marjorie Herrera-Lewis spoke to the women about her journey as a sportswriter.  

Junior marketing major Ruby O’Brien was inspired by Herrera-Lewis and wants to do her part to make sure women around her don’t feel underappreciated. 

My biggest, biggest takeaway was that there was always someone before you, someone who did something that allows you to do what you can do today,” O’Brien said. “Women couldn’t play sports in the past, and now I can play sports freely.” 

Marjorie Herrera-Lewis speaks about her role in sports as a writer and encourages the athletes. (Chiara Watson)

Herrera-Lewis was the first woman to be hired as a sportswriter at the Fort Worth Star Telegram. Because of this, she had to overcome

adversities. She did not have the opportunity to play sports in the way she wanted to, but she worked hard and became the first woman to cover the Dallas Cowboys beat.  

Raquel Galvan, a senior general business and management major, resonates with Herrera-Lewis’ story.  

“I can relate with her being like, you know, there’s so many people that would want to be in your position,” Galvan said. “I had never danced before and I wanted to, so coach [Emily] Snow gave me the opportunity.” 

Herrera-Lewis left the women with advice to capture every moment and make the most of the opportunities they have been afforded.  

“Take advantage of every moment,” Herrera-Lewis said.

The catered event features lasagna, salad, and breadsticks for dinner and cheesecake for dessert. (Chiara Watson)