The TXWES Community is Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

Wesleyan+is+hosting+events+throughout+Hispanic+Heritage+Month.+
Serenada Sanchez
Wesleyan is hosting events throughout Hispanic Heritage Month.

Starting Sept. 14, Texas Wesleyan will host events to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, which takes place annually from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.  

The Hispanic + Latinx Heritage Month Kick Off  was held in the Martin University Center ballrooms from noon to 2:30 p.m. on Thursday. Britney Martinez, a junior management major, and member of The Bilingual Education Student Organization was there with BESO to give out water and balloons.  

“We’ll be having one of our members do face painting,” Martinez said.

Assistant Director of the Student Diversity & Inclusion Programs Bertie Gardner said the program is responsible for sponsoring the kickoff. 

“I’ve been helping to plan out the schedule of the day. Ordering the food, kind of the behind the scenes for that,” Gardner said. 

Josue Garnica is president of the Latinx Student Association (LSA), the organizers have already planned four events for Hispanic Heritage Month. LSA is hosting a Carne Asada from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 13, at the Stella Fire Pit. 

Garnica is most excited for the Carne Asada event which will be followed by Reggaeton Night, another LSA event honoring Hispanic music and dance. 

Fiestas Patrias is a parade group participating in the Stockyard Parade at 11:30 a.m. Sept.17, along Exchange Ave. in the Fort Worth Stockyards. 

“BESO and LSA are collaborating to decorate a float driven by the Dean of Art [and Sciences] for the Kickoff in the Stockyards,” said Martinez. 

BESO’s goal for the month is to raise awareness about the organization.  

Martinez said, “We are always here to help the community and we welcome everybody.”