Wesleyan hosts Hispanic Heritage Month Kickoff

• Marlene Torres is majoring in biology and Emiliano Gonzalez is majoring in marketing. Both students are sophomores and are excited to be a part of the Hispanic Heritage month.

• (From left to right) Paulina Hudson, Sergio Flores, Britney Martinez, and Carla Arce are cutting paper to create papel picado with the Bilingual Education Student Organization (BESO) booth. Martinez is a member of BESO and on the programs and activities committee.

• Magaly Rae dances and is a member of the Ballet Folklorico Quetzal de Fort Worth.

• Students were encouraged to take photographs at the photo booth with these Hispanic props.

• Vendors and organizations set up the booths as students arrive. The event was scheduled to take place in the Kay Granger Mall but was moved indoors due to weather.

• Will Chandler is the director of choral activities for Texas Wesleyan. During the kickoff, Chandler conducted the Wesleyan Singers.

• Destiny Escobedo is a member of the Ballet Folklorico Quetzal de Fort Worth. She performed in a Jalisco dress. This dress symbolizes an ancient practice that celebrates diversity.

• Before entering the ballroom, students were given a ticket for food.

• Sun Park is a senior majoring in instrumental music education with a percussion concentration. Park can play many instruments including the drums and percussion.

• The Wesleyan Singers were part of the team of people welcoming students to the Kickoff.

• Dr. Jessica Salazar is an education professor at Texas Wesleyan. Salazar is pictured with NickE who is a future Texas Wesleyan student.

• Josue Garnica is the president of the Latinx Student Association (LSA). The LSA booth passed out candy and invited students to participate in their celebrations throughout the month.

• Jeffery Chanta graduated in May 2023 and works for Texas Wesleyan as an admission specialist. He works on the Hispanic Heritage Month Planning Committee and helps plan the Kickoff celebration.

Texas Wesleyan held a kickoff for Hispanic Heritage month on Sept. 14. The kickoff was sponsored by the Student Diversity and Inclusion Programs.