News Engagement day focuses on the media

Delana Lopez serves food during Tuesdays news engagement day event.
Photo by Shelby Reddington
Delana Lopez serves food during Tuesday’s news engagement day event. Photo by Shelby Reddington

Texas Wesleyan’s Mass Communication Department hosted news engagement day on the mall on Tuesday. 

The event is designed to get Wesleyan students more involved with campus and local news, said Student Government Association member Alex Lopez. 

The event hosted Todd Unger from WFAA Channel 8; the Fort Worth Star-Telegram; the SGA; the Rambler Media Group staff; and Love Your Melon, an organization that provides hats to children with cancer. 

Senior Alex Lopez was at the SGA table.  

“We were getting people registered to vote, as well as letting the Wesleyan community know about SGA and what we do as an organization,” said Lopez, a senior.  

Junior Delana Lopez helped host the event with her fellow classmates in a public relations class. Lopez helped students know about the event by handing out flyers and talking about it. 

“News engagement day helps the students of Wesleyan get more involved with things around campus as well as the local news here in Fort Worth,” Lopez said. 

The event also host free lunch to help get the students more interested. Lopez said in order to receive a Chick-fil-A sandwich students had to get a sticker at three booths. 

Junior April Suarez Olvera, a mass comm student, said the day brought the lack of interest in news by millennials to her attention. 

“Although we have multiple platforms compared to a couple of years ago, no one is truly interested in the news,” Olvera said.  

Olvera said being a part of the event encourages students and Wesleyan as a whole to become aware of the importance of being informed.  

“News engagement day was created to raise awareness,” she said. “This event allowed us to talk, tweet, post, and blog about current news and feel empowered in being able to form a reasonable opinion on what is going around in the world.”