Anderson gives rundown on Dallas Cowboys PR

Charlotte Jones Anderson speaks with host Scott Murray on Tuesday at Martin Hall. Photo by Elena Maldonado

Video by Elena Maldonado

Charlotte Jones Anderson, executive vice president and chief brand officer for the Dallas Cowboys, spoke on Tuesday as part of the Marjorie Herrera Lewis Endowed Speakers Series.

Scott Murray, an experienced journalist and television sports anchor, hosted the talk in Nicholas Martin Hall.

According to txwes.edu, Lewis, a former Fort Worth Star-Telegram reporter, created an endowment “to provide support for the creation of a speaker’s series focused on the field of sports journalism/sports media.”

Sophomore mass communications major Gloria Andrade-Borja initially went for extra credit, but quickly became interested in the event after reading the informational flyer that was handed out before the talk began.

“It is very interesting that [Anderson] is a female and has a very important position with the Dallas Cowboys,” she said. “I am very into the topic of marketing, so it will be interesting to hear what she has to share since she is very successful.”

Andrade-Borja was looking forward to hearing Anderson give examples of first-hand experiences she has had in working in the field.

“I am interested in her personal insight, stuff we cannot google,” she said. “We know she has made important moves to keep the branding of the Cowboys interesting for the audience.”

Anderson spoke in front of students, staff, and faculty members about her experience working with the Cowboys.

“Everybody [at the Dallas Cowboys] is so passionate about what we do, and whether they are in the digital media department, or the technology department, or they are the linebacker, they are extremely passionate about what they do,” she said.

Anderson said she is passionate about being a part of the Dallas Cowboys.

“We get to be a part of something that is so amazing. It has such feasibility and such entrance that in that, we recognize that there is an incredible responsibility that goes with that,” she said.

Anderson also gave the students a motivational speech, encouraging them to find their purpose in life.

“You are all here make decisions about what you are going to do with your life, and what your first step is going to be,” Anderson said. “You want to ask yourself what your purpose is. ‘Why do you want to do what you do?,’ not ‘What do you want to do?’”

Monica Muns, mother of senior mass communications major Karan Muns, was at the event because she heard about it through social media.

“I was interested just to hear her story as a powerful woman in a male dominated industry,” she said after hearing the Anderson’s talk.

Muns described the event as “small and intimate.”

“You really got the feeling that you had a little one on one with her,” she said.

Charlotte Jones Anderson speaks with host Scott Murray on Tuesday at Martin Hall.
Photo by Elena Maldonado
The audience watches Charlotte Jones Anderson speak with Scott Murray at Martin Hall.
Photo by Elena Maldonado
Charlotte Jones Anderson poses with student Massaran Kromah after the talk.
Photo courtesy of Massaran Kromah
Texas Wesleyan University President Frederick Slabach introduces Scott Murray at the event.
Photo by Massaran Kromah