Veterans’ club president, advisor hopes to make campus more military-friendly

After losing their club last semester, the Veterans of Wesleyan once again have an organization to call their own.

The veteran’s club has been reformed under the leadership of the new president Will Wick.

“We have made a lot of progress of getting the Veterans Club in order,” Wick said. “So far we have established six leadership

positions and found volunteers to fill them all.”

The first meeting took place on Thursday and a dozen veterans and non-veterans showed up to show their support.

“Our non-veteran advisor is the cheerleading coach, so most of the cheerleaders got roped into joining the club,” Wick said. “I

think that it is important for veterans coming into the school that we have both veteran and non-veteran members that can

help with the military to civilian transition.”

Kadedra Green VA advisor for Wesleyan has accepted an advisor position for the veteran club. Her position consists of

taking an active interest in the organization and being familiar with the policies and procedures of the campus and university

so she can guide the students to success.

“I became involved because as a veteran myself, I saw a need for an active veteran club on campus,” Green said. “When I was

an undergraduate senior at University of Texas at Arlington, I was the president of their student veteran organization and

with this experience I am knowledgeable on how an organization can function.”

According to Green, the veteran club is important to Wesleyan because they have become known as a military friendly school

and having an active organization on campus will build a stronger bond between the veterans and the school.

“My plans for the organization will be to further assist the club, help with activities and fundraisers,” Green said.

The club was disbanded last semester after the former president Michael Duncan, a history major, stepped down.

The next meeting will be on March 19th on the Mall for some kickball and fun.