Campus relocations announced

Texas Wesleyan is on the move this summer.

Wesleyan will be relocating several faculty offices, departments and student services due to building renovations and campus improvements throughout the summer, according to Brian K. Franks, executive director of facilities, development and operations. All moves are scheduled for completion by fall 2015.

“There are a lot of pieces moving around,” Franks said. “In order for one space to move into another we need to complete renovations in another. The summer can allow us to take an aggressive approach to get people to where they need to be. The people that are being impacted will really benefit from the new locations.”

The Glick House Community Counseling Center, including faculty offices, is anticipated to be the first of the moves, Franks said. The center will be moving into the new lease space on 3112 East Rosedale on June 1.

“The first thing we need to have completed before we can start the critical projects on campus is our Counseling Center project finished,” Franks said. “We are renovating 6,000 square feet of the lease space on East Rosedale for the new facility, which will have more clinic space and faculty offices.”

Scott Methvin, M.ED, clinical director of the counseling center, said this will be a nice change.

“It’s going to make a big difference,” Methvin said. “The new facility will have state of the art equipment and updated electronics that will aid us in our practice.”

Currently students use video recorders to record counseling sessions, Methvin said. The new equipment will allow students to better track their patients.

Glick House has six counseling rooms dispersed between two floors, Methvin said. The new location will have eight counseling rooms and four observation rooms all on the same floor.

“Having all rooms on one floor will aid us in assisting our patients,” Methvin said. “I expect our clientele to increase in numbers when we move to the new facility.”

The Rambler Media Group and mass communication offices will also move. RMG will move to room 219 of Polytechnic United Methodist Church, and the offices will move into the first floor of Glick House. The Career Services offices, now in the Brown-Lupton Campus Center, will relocate to the second floor of Glick House.

The relocation of the mass communication department will allow renovation of James C. Armstrong & O.C Armstrong Hall, which will be used only for student living. Students will be able to move into their new dorm rooms by the fall, Franks said.

The next major move will be for the art classes and offices, which will be moving from the three art buildings (Art North, Boyd House and Art Annex) to the first and second floor of the Poly Fire House after construction is completed in early July, Franks said.

“The Rosedale Renaissance Projects are aiding in the revitalization of this university and the community,” said Franks. “The move of the art classes and offices is directly related since the Poly Fire Station’s renovation was made possible through the fund raising efforts for the Renaissance Projects.”

The Poly Fire Station once housed Fort Worth city hall offices upstairs and the fire station downstairs, said Kit Hall, professor of art.

“The fact that the building is historic brings quite an appeal,” Hall said. “I am very excited. I wish we could have done this sooner, if so we might still have an art department.”

The current art class rooms/studios lack lighting, ventilation and space, Hall said.

“They are totally inadequate for art studios/classes,” she said. “The new facility will address these issues.”

All students, faculty, and staff using the new building next semester will be issued a key fob, or electronic key, to access the building, Hall said.

“There will be a little less freedom,” Hall said. “It will be difficult to enter the building without one. But is necessary for security reasons.”

Art has always been on the outskirts of campus, Hall said, and now it will be further out.

“It kind of takes away from personal convenience,” Hall said.

And finally, the International Programs Office will be moving from the first floor of the Brown-Lupton Campus Center to the Dan Waggoner Hall Annex.

“The move won’t affect me much,” said Timothy Reece, International Programs Coordinator II. “Hopefully we can get some new traffic into the office.”