Things to watch for and other musings

A crazy week in sports is sure to be even more entertaining this weekend with three matchups featuring Top 15 college football teams, a full slate of NFL games and the start of the MLB league championship series. 

Let’s look at the college matchups first. 

• No.10 Alabama Crimson Tide @ No.9 Texas A&M Aggies. Led by sophomore Kyle Allen, who is among the leaders in passing efficiency, the Aggies have one of the more balanced attacks in college football. The Crimson Tide created bulletin board material when defensive back Eddie Jackson said that Tide have “hands down” the best defense in the country. Kickoff is at 2:30 p.m. at Kyle Field in College Station 

• No.7 Michigan State Spartans @ No.12 Michigan Wolverines. The Wolverines have been one of the biggest surprises this year and for good reason, since they have shut out their last three opponents. Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh can flat out coach at the college level: He was successful at Stanford, and he will most certainly be successful at Michigan, but I don’t think anyone expected him to turn the program around this quickly. Statistically Michigan boasts the better defense, but the Spartans have always played physical. Kickoff is at 2:30 p.m. at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor. 
  • No.8 Florida Gators @ No.6 LSU Tigers. LSU running back and Heisman front runner Leonard Fournette has been unstoppable, already rushing for 1,022 yards, and we’re not even halfway through the football season. The big key for this game will be if Florida can stop Fournette and force quarterback Brandon Harris to beat them through the air. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. in Death Valley. 

The NFL has a couple of intriguing matchups this weekend, but the one I will be paying the most attention to is Monday night’s Giants/Eagles game at Lincoln Financial Field in Philly. The Cowboys are idle this week, so the outcome of this game will determine first place in the weak NFC East. I have a feeling that the Eagles losing will create more uncertainly for head coach Chip Kelly and whether he will go back to coaching at the college level.  

The other matchup to keep an eye on is the rematch of the last year’s AFC championship when Tom Brady and the Patriots take on Andrew Luck and the Colts at Lucas Oil stadium in Indianapolis. I’m sure Colts fans will have a warm reception for Brady amid the whole Deflategate scandal from last year. 

Time for a segment I like to call Michael’s musings. 

Five things I like: 

• The Toronto Blue Jays to beat the Royals in the ALCS. 
  • The Chicago Cubs to get to their first World series since 1908. 
  • The Detroit Lions to get their first win of the season against the Chicago Bears on Sunday. 
  • Vikings running back Adrian Peterson against the Kansas City Chiefs. 
  • The Houston Texans defense against Blake Bortles. 

Five things I don’t like 

1. Toronto Blue Jays fans throwing things on the field after Jose Bautista’s home run on Wednesday. 
  1. Andrew Luck against the Patriots Defense. Last year Luck went 12-33 for 126 yards with two interceptions in the AFC championship. Redemption will certainly be on his mind, but Bill Belichick is one of the brightest defensive minds in the game. 
  1. Jose Bautista’s bat flip. 
  1. The NFL telling DeAngelo Williams he can’t wear pink accessories to honor his late mother. 
  1. Jimmy Graham and his role in the Seahawks offense. Graham certainly isn’t having the type of season he envisioned when he got traded to Seattle in the offseason. He currently has 21 catches for 204 yards with two touchdowns. He just isn’t getting many looks in the offense. 

Just wondering about:  

• Who loses first: Cincinnati or Green Bay? 
  • Can the Bears defense contain Calvin Johnson? 
  • What’s next for USC after head coach Steve Sarkisian was fired this week?