Slabach answers questions on football, lacrosse teams

Texas Wesleyan concluded its second and final forum on adding football and women’s lacrosse Thursday afternoon.  

The forum, also held in the Polytechnic United Methodist Church, was the second of two meetings and focused on the questions and concerns of the Wesleyan community. 

The forum’s audience included about 10 members from the task force, Wesleyan faculty, a few students and several coaches from Wesleyan’s athletic programs. 

President  Frederick G. Slabach started the session by giving an overview of the proposal that’s on Wesleyan’s table.  

“Our proposal for football is based off of Wayland Baptist University,” he said. “It involves a two year phase plan and we will be playing in the Central States League.” 

Slabach also mentioned the possibility of a new gym on campus. 

“It would allow teams more flexibility with practices,” he said.”It would also be used for intramural activities as well.” 

Anthony Harper II, a sophomore forensic accounting major, believes that although there might be some confusion right now, football and lacrosse is a great route for Wesleyan.  

“There were definitely things cleared up for me and I was already all for the idea of these two sports,” he said. “To hear that this could potentially bring enrollment up is awesome news.” 

Dr. John Crook, associate professor of graduate counseling, advises that people who are unsure of  what to expect out of a Wesleyan football game go see a Division III match. 

“Go. They are different. They are wonderful. It’s not TCU or the University of Texas,” he said.  “People go there just to have fun and talk, it’s just really nifty.” 

With the meetings concluded, the task force will now begin to prepare for their proposal to President Slabach, which will take place before the December break.