Missouri football players did the right thing by standing up to racism

Last week, the University of Missouri’s African-American football players threatened to boycott all team activities including Saturday’s game against Brigham Young University if Missouri president Tim Wolfe did not resign. 

The players were citing growing racial tensions on campus. Student Jonathan Butler began a hunger strike aimed at getting Wolfe removed.  

Did the players do the right thing?  

I think so.You should be able to go to a school and feel safe and be able to learn in a peaceful environment. The fact that the football players went as far as to boycott sends a message to not just the university but to other players at other universities to take a stand and exercise their freedom of speech.  

Students at the university accused Wolfe and other high ranking officials of not handling racial situations on campus thoroughly. Students have shouted racial slurs at other students and made inappropriate drawings in a school restroom. Students have a right to be upset that the school is not protecting them from bullying. Racism is bullying and something had to be done. 

This will never be said, but I think Wolfe stepped down because he was getting pressured by not just students but other high ranking officials as well. Missouri’s athletic department generated $83.7 million last year, according to a video on CNN. If the football players had sat out the game, the university would have lost tons of money in potential revenue. 

Time for Michael’s musings: 

Things I like: 

• Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry; Curry is on a roll to start the season and is averaging 32.6 points per game. 
  • The Notre Dame Fighting Irish cracking the top 4 for the NCAA playoffs. 
  • The NCAA basketball season officially kicking off. 
  • Minnesota Timberwolves center Karl-Anthony Towns becoming a force inside. 

Things I don’t like: 

• Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant’s tirade at the media earlier this week. 
  • The NFL not suspending St. Louis Rams cornerback Lamarcus Joyner for his hit on Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater two weeks ago. 
  • Dallas Mavericks fans booing Los Angeles Clippers center Deandre Jordan, but cheering Greg Hardy. 
  • Patriots QB Tom Brady calling the 2007 Patriots the greatest football team in history. 

Just wondering: 

• Which current undefeated NFL team will be the first to lose? The Patriots, Bengals or Panthers? 
  • Will the Detroit Lions bring back Calvin Johnson after this season?