Students and faculty to perform at President’s Honors Concert

Twelve students and one faculty member will showcase their talents Friday at the annual President’s Honors Concert.

The concert, which will be held at Nicholas Martin Hall, will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will be hosted by Wesleyan President Frederick G. Slabach and his wife Melany Neilson, along with Nancy and Tim Carter, who is a current member of the Wesleyan board of trustees.

“We have some truly phenomenal talent in our music department,” Slabach said. “This is one of those opportunities that the rest of our student body would have to see.”  

The students performing at the concert include Amber McIntyre, soprano;

Jan Lässker, piano; Daniel Hernandez, tenor; Avary Vaughn, mezzo-soprano; Tyler Simpson, percussion; Joshua Hearon, baritone; Chanel Hurd, mezzo-soprano; Julian E. Rodriguez, baritone; Hayley Eaker, flute; Alex Lopez, baritone; Luis Calderón, French horn; and Alan Michael Whetsel, baritone.

In addition, adjunct music professor Keith Critcher will accompany on the piano.

Dr. Jerome M. Bierschenk, chairman of the Music Department said that 20 prospective performers auditioned for the concert last fall. Those students had to be recommended by their applied music teacher in order to audtion. 

“We have 13 of our best students in the department, a combination of vocal and instrumental,” Bierschenk said.

“Our audience for the concert is a mixture of trained musicians and some who aren’t,” he said. “There will be something for everyone to enjoy.”

The pieces that will be presented will include Michael Head’s When I Think Upon the Maidens for baritone and piano, Ricky Ian Gordon’s In Time of Silver Rain and  Rogers Quilter’s Go Lovely Rose, among others.

The President’s Honors Concert is Friday, April 8 at 7:30 p.m. at Martin Hall. Admission is free and open to the public. Seating is on a first-come basis. Reception to follow at Lou’s Place.