Theatre Wesleyan presents Tim Mooney’s “Breakneck Romeo & Juliet”

The+performance+by+Mooney+is+a+one-man+production+of+Romeo+%26+Juliet+performed+in+Martin+Hall.+
Carla Salazar
The performance by Mooney is a one-man production of Romeo & Juliet performed in Martin Hall.

On Jan. 24, actor, writer and director Tim Mooney will perform his one-man theater production “Breakneck Romeo & Juliet,” at 7:30 p.m. in Martin Hall.  

Mooney’s one-man production will follow a very simplified and fast-paced storytelling of Shakespeare’s iconic play, “Romeo & Juliet”. Doors open at 7:00 p.m. and the production is free and open to the public. 

“It’s all the good stuff and all the famous stuff, all the lines you heard a million times without all of the lines that can kind of lead you down the wrong track,” said Mooney.  

Mooney puts on a show with the goal of changing people’s minds about who Shakespeare is and what his plays represent.  

“I want people to feel them in a fresh way so that it feels immediate and alive and in their faces, right here and right now.” 

Through Timothy Mooney Repertory Theatre, a non-profit supported by the Christel DeHaan Family Foundation, Mooney has produced six award-winning one-man Shakespeare shows over the last 15 years.   

First-year theatre arts major Rocky Oljuin said she wasn’t aware of Mooney’s play but after hearing about it is interested in attending. 

“I’ve never heard of a breakneck performance, but I think it would be entertaining in some way,” Oljuin said.  

Junior mass communication major Angeles Alverado was also not aware of the performance.  

“I adored Romeo and Juliet before thinking about the implications like the age gaps and everything that was going on but overall it’s a beautiful love story,” Alverado said. “I absolutely would be interested in attending.” 

For more information on Mooney, visit https://timmooneyrep.com/