Students honor the inauguration of President Emily Messer

• Fresher: The First, a student-forward celebration for the inauguration of President Dr. Emily Messer, as the 21st president of Texas Wesleyan University takes place on April 23.

• A gallery showcasing art from students is displayed on the first floor of the Martin Center as people are welcomed to the event.

• Sandwiches, fruits, cookies and drinks are provided for lunch.

• Students, faculty and guests gather in the Paul and Judy Andrews Hall as they wait for the program to begin.

• An informational skit written by Connie Whitt-Lambert, professor of theatre and director of playwriting program, is performed by first-year students.

• The crowd joins in to take selfies and capture the historic moment.

• The interactive skit involves handing random comical objects to Messer including a football helmet for “protection”.

• “I think the whole inauguration is a really cool experience,” sophomore theatre tech major, Nathalie Beyna said. “I know that the last inauguration that we had for a president was in 2011 and so it’s an event that doesn’t come around often, but it’s really cool that we get to have it with our first female president.”

• Free t-shirts are handed out to guests in celebration of this milestone for the university and President Dr. Emily Messer.

• “I’m honored by all the support,” President Dr. Emily Messer, said. “I’m almost speechless to see the people and the excitement and energy around campus because of me being the new president.”

• Theatre Wesleyan set designs are among the art showcased as guests arrive.

• “I love seeing the students showcase not only the talent and the arts downstairs, but the talent on the stage was outstanding,” President Dr. Emily Messer, said.