Rams lose to TCU in men’s basketball exhibition

At half-time TCU leads with a score of 44-31. (Hannah Parker)

Texas Wesleyan’s Rams men’s basketball took on Texas Christian University (TCU) Horned frogs men’s basketball on Oct. 30 at Ed and Schollmaier Arena. The exhibition game ended with a score of 61 – 98 in favor of TCU.  

The game started at 7 p.m. with Texas Wesleyan winning the tip-off. The first points to go up on the board for TXWES came from a field goal three shot by Kris Lafayette within the first two minutes of the game.  

It was a good test for us to play TCU, but you know we can figure out what we failed on and pick up from there,” Lafayette said.  

This exhibition was about more than just basketball. In association with Coaches vs. Cancer and the American Cancer Society, TXWES and TCU wore matching shooting shirts in solidarity and support of Coach Brian Wanamaker and his fight against cancer.  

A message from TCU head coach during the first time out was a tribute to the

game and to Wanamaker, solidifying the significance of last night’s exhibition.

A key player and lead scorer for TXWES going into the second half with 9 points was junior Adetokunbo Bakare.

I feel like a leader,” Bakare said. “I haven’t been in this position in a while, so I’m ready to take it on this year.” 

Adetokunbo Bakare ends the game as the lead scorer for TXWES with a total of 13 points. (Hannah Parker)

The loss has not discouraged the Rams as they prepare to start their official season.  

“We need to just focus on the small stuff,” senior Micale Mee said. “We can tighten up before the next game, but we did a lot of good things as well that we can build off of.”  

The Rams first official game of the season will take place on Nov. 4 at the Sid Richardson Center against Arlington Baptist University.