Basketball teams celebrate seniors at last home game

The+Mee+Family+join+Micale+Mee%2C+a+senior+on+the+men%E2%80%99s+team%2C+in+support%2C+along+with+Head+Coach+Brennen+Shingleton+before+the+start+of+the+game.++
Alexis Bernal
The Mee Family join Micale Mee, a senior on the men’s team, in support, along with Head Coach Brennen Shingleton before the start of the game.

On Feb. 24 at the Sid Richardson Center, the Texas Wesleyan basketball teams had their last home game of the season where they honored their seniors on the men’s and women’s basketball teams, band, cheer and dance teams during halftime.  

At the beginning of each game and during halftime, seniors were greeted by their coaches with a gift. They were joined by their friends and family in the middle of the basketball court to take pictures and be honored by the Texas Wesleyan fans. Savannah Smith, senior marketing major and shooting guard, is excited for the future and hopes to soon get an internship to start the next chapter in her life. 

“I’m going to miss the great group of girls that always had my back. It’s very sad,” Smith said. “I love my teammates so much, but I’m excited for this new chapter of my life.” 

Both teams played Central Christian College from Kansas. The women played first and won 82-40, with senior Mary Nyakundi being one of the highlighted players for the game scoring 16 points. The men also won with a score of 84-73. A key player, scoring 13 points during the game, was senior Kris Lafayette. 

Kris Lafayette goes against an opponent for a 2-point shot. (Alexis Bernal)

Emily Snow, the head coach of the Gold Line Dancers, reminisced about her time with her seniors at the last home game. 

“It’s exciting that it’s their last game. It’s always a special moment for seniors to have their final basketball game day,” Snow said. “I’m proud of these girls. They’ve done a great job over the years. They’ve been on our team. They strived for excellence and worked hard.” 

During the men’s halftime, the Gold Line Dancers performed to prepare for the trip to NDA Nationals in Dayton, Florida. Cheerleader Lauren Scott, senior mass communication major, shared her plans after graduation.

Band Director Dr. Thomas Willmann helps to honor senior band members during the men’s half time. (Alexis Bernal)

“My plan after graduation is to pursue my job as a news reporter. I’m going to break off into Houston and start my journey there,” Scott said. “I didn’t know that it was coming so fast, but now I’m finally, like, getting all the emotions.” 

The Head Coach of Women’s Basketball Scott Hyland said that the seniors will be missed. 

“They are just really good people and have helped set a tone for what we will build here,” Hyland said. “I hope they come back often to continue to be a part of our program because they are going to be very successful in their future endeavors.” 

Seniors look forward to graduation on May 11. To find more information on graduation please visit txwes.smartcatalogiq.com, and for any upcoming sporting events please visit ramsports.net