New Engage Studio opens on campus

The+Engage+studio+creates+a+space+for+students+to+gather+and+improve+their+writing+skills.+
Chiara Watson
The Engage studio creates a space for students to gather and improve their writing skills.

Located in PUMC 125, the Engage studio aims to help students with oral and written communication skills.  

The Engage Studio is co-directed by Dr. Stacia Campbell, Associate Professor of English and director of the Wesleyan Honors Program as well as Professor Skyla Claxton, a speech instructor at TXWES. The studio provides students with assistance on anything communication-related, from speeches, to essays, to resumes, to presentations and much more.  

“The Engage Studio is a welcoming place for all Texas Wesleyan students seeking help in all things, writing, speaking and presenting,” Campbell said.  

The Engage Studio staff also includes four undergraduate instructional assistants and two graduate program assistants. Senior English major Cameron Pike is among the instructional assistants. 

“Communication is the most fundamental building block of our society,” Pike said. “The Engage Studio is there to prepare [students] for the world they’ll find outside of Wesleyan.” 

The Engage Studio can be found in PUMC 125. (Kehinde Hopkins)

Among the main goals of the Engage Studio is to further prepare students for employment. The space offers help building resumes and CVs. The studio also trains students in soft skills such as practicing job interviews and how to communicate professionally. 

“Soft skills are in demand by employers, they want students who have strong communication skills,” Campbell said. 

Along with the main classroom space, PUMC  126 Conference Room is also available to clients for private sessions with the staff members.  

“Coming to [the Engage Studio] gives you that personal one-on-one opportunity to get very detailed feedback,” Claxton said.     

The Engage Studio is funded by a Title III federal grant that has been awarded to the university. The grant will last for another four years.  

“[Title III] is a federally funded enhancement program that is focused on institutional improvement,” Campbell said. 

Along with its client appointments, the Engage Studio also hopes to host communication-based events to further serve the Texas Wesleyan student body.  

To schedule a meeting with the Engage Studio, visit PUMC 125. Walk-ins are also welcome. The space is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays depending on student demand.