Black Student Association promotes student businesses for Black History Month

Student-led+businesses+showcase+their+products+to+attendees+on+the+first+floor+of+the+Martin+Center.+
Kehinde Hopkins
Student-led businesses showcase their products to attendees on the first floor of the Martin Center.

On Thursday, Feb. 22 the Black Student Association (BSA) held a Black Wallstreet event on the first floor of the Martin Center. 

At the event, black Texas Wesleyan students and alumni were given the opportunity to showcase their businesses and sell their products to other students, faculty and staff. First-year business management major Oluwatosin Akapo showcased her business Elegant Mane which revamps, restores a revives old wigs. 

“The BSA has created this platform for us,” Akapo said. “It’s a really good opportunity to put ourselves out there.” 

The event was one of many that the BSA held to celebrate Black History Month. Sophomore psychology major Dominique Sanders, who serves as treasurer on the BSA board, was a big part of the planning of the event. 

“We wanted to have a different outlook on Black History Month,” Sanders said. “Not so sullen, not just [showcasing] people in history… but also the current people who want to change the world.”   

Participants ranged from long-time business owners to people who were just starting out. Junior business management major Gabrielle Little has run her crocheting business,  ‘Little Stitches & Co, for more than three years. However, the Black Wallstreet Event was her first time properly promoting her business.  

“[Promoting black businesses] is very important seeing as there are not many people of our color in power or in positions to run businesses,” Little said. “If we support each other, we’ll start that trend to create more.” 

The event was named after a community in Tulsa, Oklahoma which was famous for black entrepreneurship and economic success during segregation. The community later became victim to the Tulsa Race Massacre.    

“It’s hard to start up [a business] especially in a society where we are put down so often,” Sanders said. 

The Black Student Association will host its final Black History Month event, the Black Excellence Gala on Feb. 29 on the second floor of the Martin Center. Check Ramspace for more information.