Crimson Peak focuses on storytelling

Crimson Peak is a dark and chilling ghost story with its own gothic twist that absolutely begs the question: What will you do for love?

Guillermo del Toro weaves another masterpiece with Peak (119 minutes, rated R) as he has done with such films as Pan’s Labyrinth, Hellboy and the Hobbit trilogy. And it is beautiful.

Del Toro takes us through the tale of the young Edith Cushing (Mia Wasikowska) as she meets and marries Sir Thomas Sharpe (Tom Hiddleston) and is brought to Allerdale Hall in the middle of nowhere in England, where she meets Sharpe’s sibling, Lady Lucille Sharpe (Jessica Chastain).

And that’s when the real horror begins.

But under all the scares, del Toro unveils a dangerous, creepy love story that could be mistaken for something from the likes of Edgar Allen Poe himself.

Hiddleston and Chastain play their roles to the fullest, with the latter delivering an Oscar-worthy performance. Both actors play off each other well, with Hiddleston taking the lead until the latter part of the film.

Chastain deserves individual praise for her performance. She brings new meaning to the term “vicious” as she portrays the grim Lady Sharp.

Each line is spoken with immense emotion and enough ice to chill the bone.

Wasikowska takes the role of Cushing and turns it into something that captures the audience’s attention.

However, the moments that shine the brightest belong to Hiddleston and Chastain.

Their love affair is so mesmerizing that you will find yourself dazzled from beginning to end.

Allerdale Hall itself is terrifying, with red clay as dark as blood running down the walls that seem to breathe a gruesome history.The house screams bloody murder, and the movie becomes more and more intense as the story develops. Cushing learns what is really going on behind the scenes, both with her husband and Lady Sharpe and events that have taken place in the past.

With an all-star cast and a visionary filmmaker, Crimson Peak delivers a heartfelt horror mixed with a love story that fuses insanity and obsession.

If you are looking for something different than your average horror flick, this is it. Peak thrives in what has become such a saturated genre. While many movies turn to cheap scares and stale plots, del Toro takes a classier route, focusing more on storytelling than screams.