GSA ends LGBTQ+ History Month with a Spooktacular Drag Show, costume contest

Carla Salazar
Krystal Cartierr, Buck Wylde, and Deja DeBois end with group performance of ‘Seasons of Love’ by Rent.

Texas Wesleyan’s Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) hosted its second drag show in Gina’s Cafe, including two drag queens and its first drag king, as well as a costume contest, on Oct. 30.

Anayli Rodriguez Perez, a sophomore majoring in computer information systems and minoring in Spanish, said she enjoyed the show.

First-place costume contest winner, Samantha Mendoza (middle), poses with Deja DeBois (left) and Buck Wylde (right). (Carla Salazar)

“This is my first drag show and I loved it,” she said. “I loved waving the dollar bills for the drag queens and king.”

GSA President, Sapida Abbasi, is a senior majoring in biology. She said she wanted to have the Queens come last to help wrap up LGBTQ+ History Month and take advantage of Halloween.

“We did do a series of events prior to today’s, but today was just kind of like a little wrap-up of the event,” Abbasi said. “Just something fun with Halloween.”

The Student Government Association (SGA) and the Division of Diversity and Inclusion office both sponsored the event.

“Without their help, we probably couldn’t have done the show,” Abbasi said.

“We put in hours into the decorations, we’re all proud of it,” Abbasi said.

Buck Wylde, a Dallas-based Latinx drag king, made history as being the first drag king to perform at Texas Wesleyan.

“Sapida reached out to me on Instagram earlier this year but I wasn’t able to make it,” Wylde said, “but I got invited back and thankfully was able to make it, I had such an amazing time.”

Next month, GSA will be hosting a free STI clinic that will be offered to all students, faculty and staff.

People will be able to come in, get their blood drawn, and have their urine tested for any STIs. Free treatment will be available if anyone tests positive for any STIs.

“We’re really excited that we are able to offer that to the community,” Abbasi said.

Finn’s Place, a community center in Fort Worth, TX for trans and gender-diverse people, had a table at the event where they provided information and resources for students and attendees. (Carla Salazar)
Decorations that were donated by Stella. The original location was supposed to take place in the Claudia and Rodd Stepp Amphitheater but was moved inside to Gina’s Cafe due to extreme weather. (Carla Salazar)