Memorial service held for reference librarian Kate Wiant

Dr. Gladys Childs gives the invocation at Thursday’s memorial service for Kate Wiant.

Students, faculty, and community members gathered on Thursday to mourn the loss of and celebrate the life of Martha “Kate” Wiant.

The ceremony, held in the sanctuary of Poly United Methodist Church during free period, included eulogies and several hymns.

“She patiently gave 110 percent in these endeavors, and always with a beautiful smile,” said reference assistant Risa Brown. “In essence, Kate was the epitome of what a reference librarian should be.”

Wiant, lead reference and instruction librarian, was shot to death at her home in east Fort Worth Sunday afternoon by her husband, Jeremy J. Wiant, who then killed himself, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Wiant was remembered as a sweet coworker, mother, and friend. She began working at Texas Wesleyan in 2010.

“Mrs. Wiant was not only a reference librarian, but my friend, and a big part of my Ram family,” said sophomore McKayla Harwell. “She cared for me and helped me more than I could’ve ever expected through my first year in college.”

University President Fred Slabach read a traditional version of Psalm 23 during the ceremony, and Dr. Gladys Childs, interim chaplain, gave the invocation, prayer, and benediction.

The Kate Wiant Memorial Fund has been established to help the family with expenses, according to the ceremony’s program. Donations may be cash or check, with checks being made out to “Texas Wesleyan University”. Donations may be given in person at the cashier’s office, or sent to:

Texas Wesleyan University

Cashier’s Office – Kate Wiant Memorial Fund

1201 Wesleyan St., Ft. Worth, TX 76105